Safe re-opening of places of worship
Guidance published following consultation with faith and belief communities.
Places of worship will be able to re-open for congregational worship and prayer and religious life event ceremonies from 15 July and guidance has been published to help them prepare.
Key measures include:
• restrictions on capacity so that a safe distance of at least 2 metres can be maintained between individuals from different household groups. No place of worship should admit more than 50 people at any one time, regardless of its size or usual capacity, with a limit of 20 on weddings and funerals
• the retention of worshippers’ contact details to share for Test and Protect if required
• no communal prayer books, prayer mats or other shared items
• faith leaders and those responsible for places of worship must take all reasonable measures to adapt faith-specific rites and rituals to ensure the safety of those present
• singing, chanting and the playing of wind instruments should be avoided pending further scientific and medical advice on the risks of transmission from such activities